From the Place du Tertre (18th district) to the Place de la Commune (13th) On 18 March 1871, Paris rose up against the government of Thiers, who ha... Read More
The Hôtel de Ville was occupied by the National Guard on the evening of 18 March. The Commune sat there from 28 March. There was a great deal of popular unrest in the Communal headquarters for two months. It was also there that the Commissions drafted the Communal decrees. The Hôtel de Ville was evacuated on 24 May by the Public Health Committee, which withdrew into the town hall of the 11th district. Pindy, the governor of the Hôtel de Ville, gave the order to set fire to it to slow the progress of the Versaillais. The current building, which was rebuilt between 1873 and 1883, has retained the general aspect of the previous one and the Renaissance style of the original 16th century building.