From the Place du Tertre (18th district) to the Place de la Commune (13th) On 18 March 1871, Paris rose up against the government of Thiers, who ha... Read More
The current town hall of the 10th district was opened in 1896. It was this former town hall, which no longer exists, that acted as the seat of the Women’s Union, created by the bookbinder Nathalie Le Mel and the young Russian student Elisabeth Dmitrieff during the Commune. The Union played an important role during the Commune. It defended women’s right to work and drafted a programme for taking back abandoned workshops to return them to the workers. It called on women to fight at the barricades. Opposite the town hall is the location of the former “Red Carpet” store, which was burned down during Bloody Week.