ON THE TRAIL OF INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONSFrom the Trocadéro Gardens (16th district) to the Town Hall of the 12th district Whether they were univers... Read More
Universal Exhibition of 1878
Four ceramic panels, representing Architecture, Sculpture, Painting and Pottery, decorate the base of the façade’s bays. The building, constructed in the early 1880s by Paul Sédille (1836-1900), the architect of the Printemps shops, was until 1930 the workshop of the Jules Loebnitz factory.
Three of these panels come from the door to the Fine Arts Pavilion of the Universal Exhibition of 1878. This monumental entrance, designed by Paul Sédille, was made of coloured ceramic panels made by the manufacturer. The series, which constituted a sort of manifesto and was awarded a gold medal, opened the way to the use of polychrome ceramics in monumental décor. From the 1840s, Jules Loebnitz (1836-1895), an artist as well as a manufacturer – and as such highly representative of the development of 19th century craftsmanship of art – worked with the most famous architects of the period who all, from Duban and Viollet-le-Duc to Charles Garnier and Paul Sédille, were great advocates of polychrome architecture.