ON THE TRAIL OF INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONSFrom the Trocadéro Gardens (16th district) to the Town Hall of the 12th district Whether they were univers... Read More
Universal Exhibition of Decorative Arts of 1925
Fourteen statues of workers which adorned the Cour des Métiers at the Exhibition of Decorative Arts of 1925 were installed in the Town Hall of the 5th district in 1930. Each one represents a different artistic trade: the Dressmaker (Marque), the Blacksmith (Dejean), the Carpenter (Traverse), the Glassworker (Wlérick), the Silversmith (Contesse), the Jeweller (Vigoureux), the Bookbinder (Cavaillon), the Upholsterer (Pommier), the Milliner (Arnold), the Stone-Cutter (Guénot), the Gardener (Niclausse), the Cabinetmaker (Drivier) and the Ceramic Artist (Halou).
The courtyard, designed by the architect Charles Plumet, occupied the end of the Esplanade des Invalides in the axis of the Lalique fountain. It consisted of a garden surrounded by porticos and containing a fountain, a sort of impluvium inspired by Roman atria. On the walls of the galleries, large panels commissioned from the painters Marret (The Road, The Transport, The Sport, The Architecture), Guillonnet (Costume, The Gardens, The Theatre) and Rapin (Teaching, Furniture) alternated with the statues, which were placed on large pedestals in narrow recesses.