ON THE TRAIL OF INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONSFrom the Trocadéro Gardens (16th district) to the Town Hall of the 12th district Whether they were univers... Read More
Universal Exhibition of 1889
Embedded in the garden wall, three ceramic reliefs (one medallion bearing the name of Ingres and two panels decorated with garlands accompanied by the symbols of painting and architecture) come from the former Palais des Beaux-Arts constructed by the architect Jean-Camille Formigé (1845- 1926) for the Universal Exhibition of 1889. The building made brilliant use of the resources of metallic architecture. It seized the imagination of the public through the many nuances of its ceramic décor, most of which came from the manufacturer Emile Müller. Four monumental medallions, of which only the one bearing the name of Ingres has been conserved – were placed in the cornerpieces of the arches. On the others could be read the names of Labrouste, Rude and Delacroix. The commission for these figures of geniuses had been shared between the sculptors Louis-Oscar Roty and André-Joseph Allar. In the upper part, allegorical figures separated by garland designs, accompanied by the symbols of the different arts completed the decoration, whilst brining to mind the intended use of the building.