ON THE TRAIL OF INTERNATIONAL EXHIBITIONSFrom the Trocadéro Gardens (16th district) to the Town Hall of the 12th district Whether they were univers... Read More
Universal Exhibition of 1900
The colossal glazed stoneware portico was constructed to adorn the façade of the pavilion of the Sèvres pottery factory during the Universal Exhibition of 1900. It was designed by the architect Charles-Auguste Risler (1864-1937), who has been assisted by the sculptor Jules Coutan for the figurative décor and was one of the star attractions of the Exhibition.
Composed of an arc framed by pillars supporting a cornice decorated with garlands of fruits and flowers, the portico is topped with an entablature interspersed with panels of greenery produced from full paste. The window which was originally planned was replaced by a landscape against which was placed a medallion showing an allegory of ceramics.
Charles Risler, the architect of several Exhibition pavilions (Costume Palace, Bon Marché shop), was one of the main collaborators with the Sèvres pottery factory around 1900. He was particularly interested in the use of glazed stoneware in monumental construction, a material which was progressively becoming favoured over earthenware and enamelled terracotta for its resistance and durability